memories

I am frequently, if not constantly, riddled with guilt about not working on a "project".  I think about it at least once a day. For some reason, I'm just not inspired to work on anything cohesive. I'm certainly inspired to do other things I enjoy, but serious photo projects...not really.  As much as I want to, I can't get myself continue Sirens (which I DO plan to come back to someday) and there isn't anything else calling my name.  I've thought of other ideas and for whatever reason, the fire I need inside me to pursue them can not be stoked.

In any case, I still like to keep the dust off my camera and so I've just been shooting randomly as I go about my life.  I feel ashamed sometimes that I'm just haphazardly making work but maybe it's not that haphazard after all, and these pictures can be organized to make sense in some way.  Definitely for myself, and maybe even for others to enjoy.  I have about 30-40 images right now to go through that I've scanned, and 10 rolls of film left to go, and all of the images I select stir up some kind of memory and emotion for me. Maybe I can make sense of this in a way that can speak beyond my own experience...and if I can't I know I just need to keep on shooting and the inspiration will come back.

What do you do when you feel uninspired? Do you just ride it out until it strikes or try to force yourself to get inspired? I'd be interested to hear if other artists go through this and how you deal.  I have felt this way for over a year! I never thought it would last this long.



This is a portrait of Greg I made off Buttes Pass, the road that leads to the Slot Canyon trail in Anza-Borrego.  Just looking at it makes me I started to type out the memories associated with this but I'm not quite there yet...I've gone out on a limb a bit with this post so I'll stop there and come back with more another time.

Comments

Stephanie Dana said…
"Creativity involves breaking out of established patterns in order to look at things in a different way."
Candace said…
I know exactly where you're at! It's been about 4 years for me, and I'm slowly coming around, but I found a blog recently that has really inspired me, may or may not do the same for you, but it's www.smogranch.com check it out if you have a chance!
Sometimes taking a peaceful walk by the ocean, looking at colors that inspire you, or smelling a wonderfully scented flower can help refresh creativity.
xoxo Cher

Popular Posts