Abelardo Morell at Bonni Benrubi

Do you know the work of Abelardo Morell? He has inspired me every since I saw him speak at the Art Insititute of Chicago back when I was in school.  His innovative work is often whimsical, creative and thought-provoking.  One of my favorite bodies of work is Alice in Wonderland, though I'm not sure the website really does the work justice.


He's got beautiful new work showing in an exhibition at Bonni Benrubi Gallery, and it sounds like it'll be very worth your time to see if you're in the area.  The process itself sounds so cool! I'm really in love with this series.


from Morell's website: "Recently, I began to wonder what it would be like to marry images of landscapes with the surface of the ground nearby. I have worked with my assistant, C.J. Heyliger, on designing a light proof tent that, via periscope type optics, makes it possible to project a view of the nearby landscape onto whatever ground is under the tent. Inside this darkened space I use a view camera to record the effect, which I think is a rather wonderful sandwich of two outdoor realities coming together. This Tent-Camera now liberates me to use camera obscura techniques in a world of new places. I now have a portable room, so to speak."
I really wish I could see it, but instead will just look forward to the major retrospective that will come to the Getty Center.  Here is the info:

Exhibition dates:         October 7th- December 18th, 2010
Gallery Address:         41 East 57th Street, 13th Floor, New York, NY 10022
Opening reception:     Thursday, October 7th, 2010   6-8 PM
Gallery Hours:            Tuesday - Saturday  10-6 PM

Comments

Popular Posts